Saturday, July 7, 2012

The Highland Strip Memphis


Memphis has lots of cool little entertainment districts; and one of my favorites is the Highland Strip on Highland St. and Walker Ave., near the University of Memphis.
This place holds many memories for me throughout my life. My older sisters used to bring me here, when I was placed in their charge, back in the 70's; and I thought it was the hippest place on Earth.
Later, in my early teens, I would ride my bicycle to Whatever, a "head shop", where I would marvel at the glow-in-the-dark posters and such, the air heavy with incense.
As a high schooler, I drank countless Moosehead beers at a place, long closed-down, called the College Inn. As a college student, I hung out at two places that I still love: Newby's and R.P. Tracks. After college our rock band got a few gigs at a place that was called The Library. I guess if your parents asked where why you weren't in your dorm room when they called the previous night, you wouldn't be lying if you said you were at "the Library".
Anyway, I still love Newby's and R. P. Tracks. Tracks on Walker has some of the best food in the Highland Strip District. Pick your favorite ingredients, and they will make them into a burrito, a quesadillia or a sandwich. You gotta try their famous Bar-B-Q tofu. On Highland they have R.P. Billiards, a very nice little pool hall.
Newby's is divided into a bar & grill side (try the broccoli soup.) and a concert side, which I understand was once some kind of a one-screen movie theater. I've seen some pretty big name bands there recently.
Other stalwart restaurants here include Garabaldi's Pizza (I worked there for 1 day.) and Brother Juniper's for breakfast.
Along the Strip, you'll find dozens of places to eat and drink, along with a variety of little shops to duck into. Check it out when you have a chance, and keep on enjoying Memphis.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment